Friday, February 25, 2011

Fire Jumping Day

Three weeks and a day after the start of the new year Spring Festival comes to an end.  And what an end it is!  Everyone takes down their red decorations, the red couplets and red lanterns, and throws them into a fire.  I think most people (especially those in this country) have at least somewhat of an "inner pyro" and who doesn't enjoy a reason to make a fire.  It doesn't just stop there, as the name of the holiday suggests, not only do you light stuff on fire, but then you have to jump over it!  To mix it up add even more excitement, occasionally someone will throw some firecrackers in the fire, attempting to time initial explosion when someone is jumping over.  Everyone "jumps" the fire, from babies (who are just swung over by a parent) to the elderly.  I think the purpose of all of this is to burn off the past, start fresh, and scare away evil spirits.

My apartment complex gathering around the fire outside
of our front gate


Red couplets on our door

Red couplets in the fire, they add dried brush to make it bigger

A small fire

The one legged hop/swing leg over

Jumping over a small fire

Jumping through a larger fire


Did I jump a fire?  Yes, yes I did.  I even jumped through the one in the video above because I wasn't about to be shown up by my 10 year old neighbor.  Somehow, I don't think this would go over so well in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, please just be sensitive to my location! Thanks! (I'll check over everything before it shows up for others to see.)