In the US, or at the very least among Caucasians in the US, wedding invitations are sent out several months before the wedding. One website I just visited recommends sending them out three months before the big date... that's a whole quarter of a year in advance! Then there is the RSVP which we are supposed to send back several weeks to a month a head of time so that head counts can be given to caterers and that sort of thing. It is considered a common courtesy so that people can schedule and plan. It doesn't quite work that way over here.
Today, a former student walked into our office with a couple invitations and bags filled with sunflower seeds and candy. She told us she was getting married and wanted us to come to her wedding. Then she told us it is tomorrow at noon. Say what? Doesn't she know tomorrow is Tuesday? and that we have classes to teach and work to do? Then as she leaves, she says, "See you tomorrow!" like it is a done deal and our presence at the restaurant is a sure thing without really confirming who will go. Seem strange? Well it's not uncommon over here; it's perfectly acceptable (although I think for the other weddings I've been to we've at least had a couple days notice). It just makes me laugh. Not much is so set in stone that a person's schedule can't be changed around (even if they have prior engagements) and most will understand that something came up and just go with the flow. In American culture, we might see it as an inconvenience, not an honor.
Will I go to the wedding? Yes. Was I a little annoyed to find out it is tomorrow? Yes. Will I enjoy myself while I'm there anyways? I think so.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to comment, please just be sensitive to my location! Thanks! (I'll check over everything before it shows up for others to see.)